Monday, March 10, 2014

How and Why to use Chicken Base?

Chicken base is a must-have if you can find it in your side of the world. I get mine from USA. My sister-in-law is sweet enough to carry it for me every 2 years. I am sure it is available in some specialty store locally in India, I just haven't looked hard enough. The latest one that she got me is an Organic, low sodium chicken base. It doesn't get better than this!

The reason I call it a must-have for all pantries is, that it is a super-ingredient. A good chicken base can be the foundation for a lot of good dishes. It is simmered much longer than a stock and the flavor is much richer. May it be soups, gravies, pasta, or Indian curries to give them a deeper flavor, it works perfectly. You can add it to any gravy or saucy dish in place of salt, to enhance the flavour. It substitutes a fresh broth and requires less space to store as compared to a can of broth.

Sautee some onions and garlic in butter, add mushrooms and some chicken base, cream(optional), adjust the seasoning and you have a quick and easy pasta sauce. For all such recipes where you want a flavorful sauce but no cream or cheese calories, use the chicken base and little bit of any thickening agent. You have a healthy recipe. Add a tablespoon to your risotto and see the difference.

I use it for a chicken noodle soup, chowder or a cream of chicken soup. I use it for non-chicken soups too. A veggie soup can be cranked up a notch with this. Anytime I don't have an appropriate stock for my dish, I add a dollop of chicken base. It is a savior for all the emergency times when you want to quickly cook something but still leave a mark. I add a tablespoon full to all my Indian gravies and get loads of compliments. I have added it to my marinades, salad dressings, bakes and rice.

Add your ideas to my list and share them with me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food

Food gives life. Eating the wrong foods, takes it away.